Culinary Arts Salary Information
Find current salary data for culinary arts careers.
Factors That Influence Salary
A quick search for culinary arts salary information will show that chef salaries vary widely. This can make it tricky to pin down exactly what you can expect to earn if you choose to pursue a chef career.
In any industry, your earning potential is dependent on a number of factors, and culinary careers are no exception. Your chef salary is customized for you. Only by considering your unique circumstances can you predict your future wages.
Here are some of the key ingredients in figuring out the culinary arts salary equation:
- Work Environment – Fine dining restaurants usually pay some of the highest wages. Other high-paying employers include hotels, resorts and individuals who hire private chefs. Institutional cafeterias, casual or fast food restaurants and cruise ships tend to be among the lowest paying employers.
- Culinary Education – Whether you go to school to get your culinary degree or you learn hands-on, being prepared to handle the challenges of a fast-paced professional kitchen will help you advance to positions of higher responsibility—and pay.
- Work Experience – Like education, work experience has a way of teaching you a lot of the skills you'll need to advance in your career. Not to mention that sometimes you have to pay your dues before you're ready for the more glamorous jobs.
- Geographic Location – Culinary arts salaries are bound to be higher in areas where the cost of living is higher. Cities with a thriving culinary scene will also have higher demand for skilled chefs, and salaries will reflect this demand.
Culinary Arts Salaries
Here is what you can expect to earn in fields within culinary arts careers:
|Culinary Job Title||Median Annual Salary|
|Chefs and Head Cooks||$50,160|
|Food Service Managers||$59,440|
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics 2021 Occupational Employment Statistics
The salary information listed is based on a national average, unless noted. Actual salaries may vary greatly based on specialization within the field, location, years of experience and a variety of other factors.
Culinary Arts Schools & Careers
- A Professor's Advice About Culinary Schools
- Chef Interview: An Inside Look at Chef Jobs
- Chef Job Description
- Chef Job Outlook
- Choosing a Culinary Arts Program
- Compare Culinary Careers
- Cooking School Student Profile
- Culinary Arts Salary Information
- Culinary Arts Schools Offer Career Help
- Culinary Externships Equal Work Experience
- Culinary School and Career Resource Center
- Find Local Cooking Classes to Fit Your Goals
- Helpful Resources for Culinary Careers
- Is Culinary School Worth the Time and Tuition?
- Jobs for Chef School Graduates
- Recreational Cooking Classes
- Top 10 Essential Cooking Tools
- What is Culinary School Really Like?
FIND A CULINARY SCHOOL TODAY
Tell us a little about yourself and we'll connect you with schools that offer culinary arts programs.